27 August 2008

Brown Tweed Purse


Here it is - a purse I made from an old skirt and belt. I am really happy with the way it came out. 


The Back Story of This Creation

 About 20 years ago, I bought a skirt. I always liked the brown tweed fabric, and even when the skirt no longer fit, I kept it. By the time I lost weight and the skirt fit again, it was seriously out of style. But because I loved the fabric so much, I kept it to use to make something. I never could decide what-----until a few years ago when I saw a magazine article about tweed purses.

Things clicked into place for me, and I decided to make a purse. To challenge myself, I also decided to create a pattern for it.  

My first try was the same shape as this one, but it was larger, and I used the waistband of the skirt for the strap. I realized I needed to line the purse with something stiffer - it needed more shape to it. And, I never liked the way the strap looked. So I took it apart and set it aside. I saw Susan Khalje on a TV program make a purse and lined it with buckram. That was what I needed!! 

Putting the Purse Together

I bought buckram and cut down the tweed fabric to make it a better size for a purse. I sewed the buckram to it, then sewed the pieces together. I loved the way it looked, the stiffness it had, but damn! Going through two layers of fabric with buckram was tough at times! Since I wasn't using the waistband for the strap, I had to come up with something else - and figure out a way to attach it. I decided to use an old belt I had for the strap. I took two belt loops from the skirt and sewed them to the sides of the purse. I ran D rings through the loops, then put the belt through the D rings. Buckling the belt closes it, and also allows for a bit of adjustment in the length.

  (I know the D ring isn't straight, but I was trying to hold the strap up while taking the photo!) 


Lining the Purse

Then I had to try to fit my lining. I originally made the lining from an old blouse I had. It was a bright yellow, and I liked the contrast with the brown tweed - a bit of sunshine when you opened the purse. I took it apart to cut down to fit the smaller sized purse, but the fabric didn't come apart easily. There were a couple of tears that I wasn't sure I could hide in the seams. I cut it down, but it still didn't fit right. I finally gave up on that and pulled out my fabric stash to look for something to make the lining from. I soon found something I thought would work - a taupe/grey silky polyester. It looked great with the brown tweed. Once I pulled it out and looked at it, I realized why - it was the lining that was originally in the skirt!! Yes, the two fabrics were going to be paired together again. Using the bag as a pattern, I cut out the lining and interfaced the pieces. After sewing it together, I sewed it to the purse.


A bit of velcro added to the purse helps keep it closed.

There it is - how I repurposed a skirt and belt into a new-to-me purse!




If you like to sew and are interested in upcycling your clothes, check out my tutorial How To Upcycle a Sweater to a Purse. Don't throw out that old pullover sweater - upcycle it to a new purse. Step-by-step illustrated instructions are available on Etsy and Gumroad.

1 comment:

RecycleCindy said...

Oh I love your tweed purse. It's especially wonderful too because you recycled the materials. It's a cool looking upcycled bag!