09 March 2020

How to Dye Fabric With Leftover Coffee Grounds

Needing new window hangings, I dyed an old sheet with leftover coffee grounds and created something for nothing!

How I Began

I made new covers for the living room throw pillows. The colors were exactly what I wanted, but after, I noticed that the blue curtains I had hanging did NOT go with the new color scheme.

Going through all the fabric I found nothing that worked. Then I remembered another garage sale sheet I had. It was white, which was too bright for what I wanted, but there was plenty of fabric.

Since the sheet was 100 percent cotton, I decided to dye it. I first consider tea dyeing, then thought coffee dyeing would produce a darker color. An internet search turned up several tutorials, and I found this one to be most helpful. What I really liked was I  reused the coffee grounds that I normally threw out each day.

Saving coffee grounds was not a problem! I took a large plastic container and added my grounds to it each day. If I had a bit of black coffee left, I poured that in as well.

What You Need


Large plastic container and left over coffee grounds.

  • Deep plastic container for soaking fabric in
  • Leftover coffee grounds

Instruction

Be sure to do this outside!!! I am serious - it will make a mess.

Large plastic container with leftover coffee grounds and water added.


1) Into the old storage container, I dumped in the coffee grounds, leftover sludge, and some additional water.

Fabric soaking in leftover coffee grounds and water.

 

2) Mixed it well and added the fabric, making sure there was enough liquid to cover the sheet. Then, I mixed it around and rubbed the grounds into the fabric to get a bit more color.

Close up of fabric soaking in leftover coffee grounds and water.

3) Then I let it sit and soak. After about 15 minutes, I shifted the fabric around. And waited some more. Another 15 minutes, and more shifting. And more waiting.

In all, I let it soak over an hour, trying to get the color dark enough. Then I added some vinegar to the water (the tutorial I referenced suggested using alum, which I did not have, or vinegar. I didn't really measure it, just poured some in - probably about 1/3 cup) and let it soak about 15 more minutes.

Fabric draped over plastic patio furniture to dry.

 
4) I pulled out the sheet, wrung out as much liquid as I could, and draped the sheet over my patio table and chairs to dry. Since I did not rinse the sheet (because I did not want to remove the color) there were a lot of coffee grounds stuck to it. They do fall off as the fabric dries which is why this project should be done outside! I dumped the grounds and liquid in the grass.

Close up of the dried fabric.

 

5) On a warm and breezy day, the fabric should dry in a few hours (and out of the sun, so it wouldn't bleach any of the color out). I shook it well to get all the dried coffee grounds off and looked at the color. It was pretty much what I expected.

Then I used a dry iron to iron the fabric and help set the color.

Final Thoughts

And that's it - dyeing with coffee. It really was easy to do, a bit of a mess, but easy to clean up if done outside. And as an added bonus - it cost nothing! I was able to reuse an old sheet and used coffee grounds instead of throwing them away. 


How to Upcycle a Sweater to a Purse with pictures of pullover sweater cut apart then remade as a purse.


If you like to sew, check out my tutorial How To Upcycle a Sweater to a Purse. Don't throw out that old pullover sweater - upcycle it to a new purse. Step-by-step illustrated instructions are available on Etsy and Gumroad.


No comments: