23 May 2007

Remaking Shoes - part 1

Two pairs of shoes weren't working for me. Instead of getting rid of them, I made alterations and kept wearing them.

My feet are hard to fit. I've worn a wide width since my son was born (and a few even before then), so finding my size in a wide width that I can afford can be a challenge. 

I've noticed, however, a problem with a couple of pairs of shoes I have. Both have a back strap that attaches to the side of the shoe. Not to the front part, like a slingback, but to the sole. And this back strap keeps sliding off my heel. 

I like these shoes and want to wear them - heck, I've paid for them so I want to get to use them. Then I realized - why not remove the back strap and wear them as slides? Since the strap was falling off anyway, they tended to be "slides" by default. 

I got a pair of utility scissors, and a minute later, I had re-made the shoes to make them more wearable! 

A pair of black strappy sandals with no strap around the heel.




Black high heeled shoes with the back strap removed.


My challenge to you - what items do you have that you never wear? Could you do a similar alteration to make them wearable? 

No comments: